1/4/11

songs + memories.

I stole this idea from my best friend, Emily. It's a list of all the songs that remind me of certain things that I love and miss.

"Mandy" by Barry Manilow
This past semester, my roommate, Erica, and I have cooked together a few times, and whenever we do, I always bring out my laptop, pull up iTunes and play songs to cook to. I always seemed to play this one everytime, and sing my heart out to it. It reminds me of cooking, vegetarian style, with Erica.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" by The Beach Boys
Summer! This song reminds me only of summer. The warm weather and the sun shining down on me all day. Driving in my car with my window rolled down while this song was playing on my radio. It makes me happy, because I miss the summer, especially in this 20 degree weather.

"Hey Jude" by The Beatles
Last summer, while I was working with Nate, he was in a bad mood for some reason. This song came on, and I sung obnoxiously loud and out of tune to it, while looking at him the whole time. Eventually, he started to laugh, and wasn't in a bad mood anymore. This song reminds me of all the fun times I had with Nate-dawg.

"Re: Stacks" by Bon Iver
This is one of Zac's favorite songs, and we always listen to it when we're driving in the car. It reminds me of the serious side of Zac, when he has a straight (but not grumpy) face, and you can tell that his mind is racing a million miles an hour. It's the cutest thing ever.

"Merry Christmas Baby" by Brighten
Christmas, duh! This song is probably my favorite Christmas song out there. I listen to it a lot during the Holidays, and even in the summer, just because I love Christmas so much.

"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon & "Rainy Days and Mondays" by The Carpenters
These songs remind me of my dad, just because he's almost always listening to them, whether we be driving somewhere in the car, or if it's playing through the speakers in our house. These oldies just remind me of my dad.

"Believe" by Cher
One day this past semester, Erica, Rachel, Zac and I were driving in my car around campus, and this song came on. We all started to do background voices for it, and Erica's was the funniest: "Do you believe? 'Cause I believe! Tell me if you believe, 'cause I don't know if you believe or not!"

"Counting Your Worries" by The Continentals
When I was 17, I dated Erik. He was a drummer, just like me. He went through a lot of bands, and ended up staying in this one (before going on his mission, where he is currently serving). This band is amazing; I cannot even begin to describe how happy they make me feel when I listen to their music. This song reminds me of going to their shows, and other shows of our band friends, like Dream Balloons with Bradley, Peter, Trevor, Adam, Josh, Emily, Erica and the rest of the gang. Shows at Kilby Court, Open Mic Nights in Trevor's garage and basement shows in many houses. Afterwards, we'd always go to Denny's (which was often past midnight) and order good food and talk. These times were the highlight of my three years in High School. I miss them.

"Let's Make Out" by Does It Offend You, Yeah?
This song reminds me of all the weird things I do. One time, when Emily, Erica and I were all still 20 years old, we went to a Stake Dance. When we left, we blasted this music and drove around the parking lot. Then we saw 3 little teenaged boys, and I stopped the car right by them and gave them my creeper smile while this music played through my radio. It got them excited, and I drove off.

"The Final Countdown" by Europe
Being heroic and saving the day while driving in Emily's car.

"Where Were You" by Every Avenue
One time, Emily and I dressed up in Emily's clothes she wore in High School (I'm not sure why she still has them), and made a music video to this song. It was hilarious.

"All Around Me" by Flyleaf
When I was taking drum lessons, my teacher, Sneez, let me be in a band with other students. The only song I really knew how to play on the drums was this one, and so we played it. Three weeks later, I quit the band and drum lessons.

"What She Came For" by Franz Ferdinand
During Spring Break of 2009, I drove down to St. George and spent a few days with my friend, Celeste. We rode the tram, went to the DI, hiked the Red Rocks and made rainbow cake. It was a blast! On the last day, right before I left for home, we made an awesome music video to this song that consisted of us dressed up really pretty being really stupid and riduculous. It was awesome.

"Sort Of" by Ingrid Michaelson
My sister, Sara, is a very talented pianist and singer. In the summer, she got the sheet music for this song, and would always play it on the piano and sing it. I loved it, and had it stuck in my head all the time. It was the best.

"Can't Help Falling in Love" by Ingrid Michaelson
Don't laugh, but this song reminds me of what my first dance with my husband will be like. I am a daydreamer, mostly of my future wedding, and ever since I've heard this song, I've wanted it to be the song that my husband and I share our first dance to.

"So Close/So Alive" by Just Surrender
One of my foster kids, Levi, LOVED this song, and would listen to it on my iPod nonstop when I had him. It reminds me of him, and how funny he is.

"Numb" by Linkin Park
Even though I hate this band, this song, and a few others remind me of when Emily, Erica and I were driving home from an Open Mic Night one night, and this song was plaiying, and we rolled down the windows, blasted the music and sung crazy backup words to it (like we did when we sang to Cher). I remember laughing so hard I could barely sing.

"Steps in My Fade" by Love You Long Time
In the summer of 2009, Emily and I were EFY counselors together. We'd carpool there and back everyday, and everyday we'd listen to this song and sing to it. We had a goal that, by the end of the week, we'd have the whole thing memorized. We accomplished our goal much sooner. That song made us so crazy, which is good, because EFY counelors are supposed to be crazy.

"The Sun and The Moon" by Mae
On our first date, Zac and I went to Sundance and rode the ski lifts. On our way home down the canyon, we listened to this song. A month after we had been officially dating, we went up to Squaw Peak and talked. On the way up, we also listened to this song. Zac calls it "our song," and I'd have to agree with him.

"Black Holes and Revelation" by Muse
Last summer, my foster kid, Dakota, and I were talking about music we both liked. We couldn't agree on any songs until this song came on my iPod. He said, "I love this song!" I was like, "No way! So do I!" Now everytime I work with him, we listen to this song.

"White Knuckles" by OK Go
A few weeks ago, I went to the OK Go concert with Kim and Zac. Kim and I got to meet the band, which was awesome. When they finally came out to play, I was blown away with how spectacular they are! This song reminds me of being happy in the presense of good music, and taking tons and tons of pictures.

"Unconditional Love" by Plain White T's
When I was in High School, I was homeschooled, and in a homeschool choir. After our two classes at the public High School, Daniel and I would drive up to Salt Lake City and attend choir there. On the way home, Sara and Rachel would ride with us. In the car, Daniel had a set list of songs he would always listen to. This is the song I remember him listening to most. It reminds me of homeschool, namely choir and LFG, with my siblings.

"Buddy Holly" by Weezer
Back in October, Zac, Erica, Wes, Rachel and I were driving to Thanksgiving Point to go to a corn maze. On the way there, all we listened to was Weezer. We all decided that, if we could only listen to one band for the rest of our lives, Weezer would be it. Then we all sung along with every Weezer song that played.

No comments:

Post a Comment