1/10/11

new years resolutions.

Here I am, sitting at my uncomfortably small desk in my student housing apartment, eating my second bowl of leftover homemade chili that my boyfriend, Zac, and I made together a few nights ago (I ate a bowl of it for breakfast this morning). Hey, at least it's not Ramen, right? I'm thinking that I should post some of my New Years' Resolutions. Just so they're written down, ya know? I know it's probably a little bit late, and that's because I've been thinking about them for the past couple of weeks, even after New Years Day came and went.

Last night, Zac and I were thinking of things we both (together and individually) want to learn how to do. Then I got thinking, my my mind started to race, and I started making a list of fun things for us to do when we're bored, or when we're planning out our week. We got a pretty good list together, so I'll share some of it with you.

First off, here is the list of my New Years Resolutions. I thought about things I wanted to learn, things I wanted to do, and things I wanted to become.

Things I want to learn:
  1. How to cook foreign foods (Asian, Thai, etc.). I think I'm a pretty decent cook, but I tend to only stay in my comfort zone, which is pasta, chicken, hamburger, you know, the easy stuff. I want to learn how to cook meals that you wouldn't normally make everyday.
  2. How to do my hair. I almost always have my hair just down. I want to learn how to do cool things with it, and add some variety to my life! ...or my head.
  3. How to work my light meter. I got a sweet light meter for Christmas, and I know the gist of how it works, but I want to get really familiar with it so I can improve my photography.
  4. How to write better. I always read articles, blogs and books that are very nice and very captivating. I want to learn how to write like that.
  5. How to sew--at least the basics of sewing. When I was little, I hated this idea. Now I'm warming up to it, and I think it would be cool to whip up a little shirt or curtains or something.

Things I want to do:

  1. Travel out of state. The ideal would be to go on a road trip to Washington state, but really, I just want to get out of Utah for a while with a few friends, or even my boyfriend. Even more than that, I want to get out of the country, but I'm afraid I'm probably pushing my luck with that one.
  2. Grow in my education, and get my Associates degree. I'm seriously just one semester away... if I don't screw it up.
  3. Read lots and lots of books. Maybe near the start of summer I'll come up with a book list and see if I can finish it by the end of summer, but I just want to read!
  4. Take more pictures. You'd think that, since I love photography so much, this wouldn't be an issue. But lately I've neglected to take my camera to many places where I should've. I regret not having so many pictures.
  5. Broaden my appreciation and education of the arts: films, photos, music, plays, even people. Specifically, from the early 1900's. I love that era.
  6. Buy a ton of Chinese Wish Lanterns and set them off every now and then. Ever since I saw Tangled, I've wanted to have a surplus of those Chinese Wish Lanterns on-hand for special occasions. :)
  7. Blog more. It helps me think, and it will help me learn to write better.

Things I want to become:

  1. A better singer. I don't want to be amazing, I just want to be better. I'll have to try and do this without a voice teacher, because "I am running low on cash flow." (Zac will appreciate that one) Really though, I just need to save my money.
  2. More creative. I think that sometimes I'm afraid to do things outside of my own little bubble. But this year I want to take risks and try new things, and expand who I am.
  3. More outgoing. I've come a long way from what I used to be, which was painfully shy. I'm more outgoing, less awkward. But I want to be even more outgoing, because I've always watched those people who weren't afraid to be themselves, and I've always admired that.
  4. A better photographer. I want to learn new tricks, and go out and shoot more, so I can learn things I never would've about photography. I want to excel in my knowledge and my quality of photos. I also want to start doing photography projects.
  5. A service-oriented person. I want to serve! It makes me so happy, and I've slacked off big time lately. My mom taught me the joys of serving, and I want to start it back up again.

So that's that. Every time I complete each of these, I will blog about, and you, my friends, will get to see how I am doing on each of them. So stay tuned throughout the year!

In other news, for those of you who are wondering how I'm doing and what I've been up to, here's the scoop. I've been doing good. School started up, and, like I said, I will have my Associates degree by the end of this semester (April) if I pass all my classes, which I'm sure I can do. I've got all the fun ones: Biology, Oceanography, Humanities and Philosophy. Sweet. I've been spending all my free time with my dear boyfriend. We like to cook together, hang out with friends and family, talk and read scriptures (I know, cute, huh?). Last night, Zac and I went to his parents' house. We had an early dinner, and then Zac's parents left soon after for Park City, where they are staying in a $1500-a-night hotel for free. After they left, Whitney (Zac's sister), JT (Whitney's boyfriend), Sophie (Zac's other, younger sister), Zac and I all hung out and talked, ate leftover ice cream cake from Cold Stone (oh my gosh), and did homework (well, I did, anyway). Later, Whitney made German pancakes, which turned out super delicious. After we finished up our yummy treats, the five of us went outside and lit off a Chinese Wish Lantern (as seen on Tangled) in the cold night air, and watched it float above the pond by their house. It was magical. Later, I told Zac that I was going to buy a surplus of those things, and I plan to soon. It was a pretty fantastic night, but I have no pictures. I am sorry. Remember my goal of being better of that? I will be.

Tonight Zac and I have plans of going to the mall, reading scriptures and coloring in my coloring book I got for Christmas. Lately, Zac and I have been planning out our whole week of fun things to do that keep us busy and let us get to know each other better. This week's schedule includes: figuring out my light meter, teaching Zac everything I know about photography, Zac teaching me about something called "virtual machine," going to Valeri's wedding reception, and ice skating. I highly recommend the idea of planning out your week to anyone, especially those of you who are dating someone. It makes life more fun, and you have more to look forward to when you're bored in class.

I've gotta go pick up my boyfriend from work, because he likes to miss the shuttle. :) Bye, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment