3/8/09

north carolina is stealing my friends.

After I finished teaching my 4 and 5 year olds about the Priesthood in primary class, I headed down the hall to the laurel's class room, to meet up with my sister. When I arrived, the door was open, and all the laurels were standing by the door. I took a closer look, and noticed that the majority of them were crying. I stood there for a minute, looking at the sad faces of girls I know and love. I stepped over to Erica and Courtney, and asked them what was wrong. Erica explained to me that our Stake President, Brother Thomas, who was in our ward, got called to be the mission president in North Carolina, and that he and his family were moving there in June this year. As she explained it to me, I could feel the emotion melt off of my face. As hard as I tried, I couldn't say anything. I just stood there, my eyes wide and my mouth wide open. I couldn't believe it. This family who I had known and grown so close to was leaving in a few months, and they wouldn't be back for 3 years. I wanted to cry, but the tears didn't come.
Brother Thomas, my Stake President, is an amazing man. He's soft spoken, patient and kind. The Spirit follows him where ever he goes. On the rare occasion he spoke to us, as a ward, or as a youth group, I was always fascinated about what he had to say. He spoke complete truth, in a way that stood out to me. I remember going to his house one day with Rachel, and I saw a picture on the fridge that looked just like Napoleon Dynamite. After laughing my head off, his wife explained to me that that was Brother Thomas' mission picture. I laughed some more. I never really have gotten over that. Every time I see that picture, I bust out in laughter.
Sister Thomas is wonderful. She used to be the Beehive Advisor in my ward, but got released a few weeks ago. I always thought of her as a mom. She's fun loving, and outgoing, but also knows when to get on people's backs and tell them to be quiet. She is one of the few people who can pull off being mean to get you to behave. But we all know she loves us to death. Not to mention, her cooking is extraordinary! It was always an event to look forward to when she was cooking for a fireside or something. And her cookies! I remember when a few kids went boating last summer, and she made cookies for us to take. She gave them to me to hold onto, because she knew I loved them so much. I felt so special when she gave me those cookies.
Parley was the first guy I thought was cute when I first moved into this ward. I remember the first time I saw him, he was wearing a hat with ear flaps. I asked Andy what Parley's name was, and called out to Parley and said hi! He thought I was sooo weird, and probably still does. But we're friends. Now, my friend, and future roomie, Erica, is dating him. What a cute couple. They build each other up so much. Parley is almost ready to turn in his mission papers in a few months. What a great guy.
Bethany is hilarious. She's sarcastic, which I love. She always lets you know you are loved, even if it's just by teasing you. I feel like a midget standing next to her, because she's so tall! I just love that girl.
I'm going to miss that family, and I'm already looking forward to the day they get back. Everything happens for a reason, and I know this will be a great experience for them, as well as our ward back home. North Carolina better take care of my friends...

1 comment:

  1. Aww! this is a cute post. It made me feel all happy inside.

    When I have a family, I hope we're like this. You know, my husband is a spiritual giant, I make awesome cookies and let everyone know I care about them, my kids date cute girls and have strong testimonies... I hope that's what we're like!

    You're so lucky to know them so well! North Carolina will be good to them I think. James is there right now, and he's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete