3/22/09

a boy.

I like a boy. A different boy. Who actually isn't a boy at all. He's a man.
The other night, Celeste and I had a conversation where we both explained to each other what we thought a man was, and what we liked in men. We both agreed that men honor their Priesthood. Men put their loved ones before themselves. Men aren't afraid to chase the woman they're interested in. Men are themselves, and aren't ashamed of it. Men know what it takes to be worthy of holding the Priesthood, and act on it. Men provide care and blessings for their wives. Men fight for what they believe in. Men know they're not perfect, but strive to be the best they can be. My man will take me to the temple, because my man will know what's important in this life.
This brings me to a quote in a little book that Celeste bought at the DI. The author was a mother, and she was addressing concerns she had to her daughter. I thought it was truly profound.
"This brings us to the place where we should discuss the qualities of the boy you will marry --should you have that privilege -- and I pray that you may!
"He may be tall, dark and handsome; and perhaps he dances well; maybe he drives a new convertible. But if he cannot take you to the temple, he is not for you. He may even be rich and popular. But you will be giving up too much for too little if he cannot take you to the temple."
Oh! So this is what my mom was trying to tell me all those years! I get it now. She just wanted the best for me, and I realize that. And just like my mother raised me to believe this, I want to raise my daughters to believe the same thing.
Reading this made me think a little harder about my standards for the men I date. I think I have pretty good standards for this cause; maybe I have too many? One thing that comes to mind is that I wanted guys to have a distinct style of clothing. I'd say to myself, "If a guy doesn't wear the perfect jeans, v-neck shirts, vans eras, vests, cardigans and fohawk their hair, he isn't the one for me."
Can I just say that I am changing this prerequisite right now? Yes, I do want my husband to have a great style, but I've realized that what he wears isn't nearly as half as important as what he says, or does, or acts, or feels. Thinking about it, I'd much rather have a guy who would take me to the temple than a guy who dresses to my likeness. I just want to come out with this, and say that I've decided that the clothes guys wear doesn't matter all that much to me anymore. He just has to look good in what he wears, and work it.
So, this brings me back to the man I like. He's a convert to the church, and has been for almost 4 years now. He's a returned missionary. He holds the Priesthood, and honors it. When I talk to him, whether it be in person or on the phone, I feel like I can truly be myself, without feeling embarrassed, and that he will like me just the same. I can talk to him about goofy things, like how huge my brothers feet really are, and spiritual things, like both of our coming to know that the church is true. I can tell him what I really feel, and he listens. I can look like a total dork in front of him, trying to climb up a cave with my short legs, and know that he still thinks I'm cool, and that we can laugh about it later. He knows how to make me laugh. I know that I must mean a lot to him, because he drove 4 hours to spend some time with me. He can make something totally awkward into something to laugh about. I can really be myself around him. That's really what I want in a man. A man who likes me for me, and not someone else. A man who brings out the best in me, and makes it easier for me to be my best. That's why I like him.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,
    this is such a mature realization, and it's definitely a positive thing to grasp before you begin looking for a guy to marry.
    I'm also super happy that you have met someone who you can be yourself with. I think it's like what we were talking about with Megan on our way to Wal*Mart, that neither of us have really ever felt like we've been in good relationships because we haven't been able to completely be ourselves and let our guard down around the guys we've chosen to date. The time has come for that to change! Our perspective of what we want has changed, and I think that the quality of men we date will change accordingly.

    Way to go.

    ReplyDelete