4/9/09

love.

As I sit here in my bedroom, I can hear the distinct voices of my high school aged sisters and their high school aged friends, giving each other what they think to be worthy advice from their inexperienced and naive lives.
Rachel, Sara, Katie and Kelsie sit in Sara's bedroom. Katie has just broken it off with her boyfriend, and she is almost in tears. "I love this guy to death! You guys don't even know!" she says. I wonder to myself, Does she really? She claims to have "gone out" with this boy for seven months. Does that define love? Is love based on a set time of dating? If you date someone for so long, is it considered love? Or is love defined by something more powerful?
At this point, Rachel offers to call Katie's boyfriend, Kaden, and ask him where he thinks he's getting at this whole "breaking up with Katie" thing. Kaden tries to calm Katie down by saying cute lines, trying to get her back. To win her back. Anything he can do. She hangs up. He calls again. "Katie, answer it. You need to talk to him," Rachel, Sara and Kelsie give her false hope in something that seems so impossible at this point. She answers. Serious conversations across the line go forth in silence. "I don't want to break because, babe, I love you so much," says Katie. "I don't feel like you can trust me." They talk more. More serious words. Too serious for high schoolers, I think to myself. Too serious for me even, if I were in a relationship. I never liked high school drama.
My oh my, this brings back so many memories. High school... My high school boyfriend... We didn't love each other, but back then, I could've sworn we did! But alas, it was not meant to be. Love was just a word back then. It didn't mean anything. I wasn't sure of it's meaning. I'm still not sure what it means, actually.
It doesn't seem like Katie's changing her mind. Poor Kaden. I wonder what he'll be doing in a month from now. Will he be dating another girl, simply because he needs someone to fill that empty space? Maybe he just wants a make out buddy. I've heard some guys are like that. Maybe he'll still be sulking, trying to win her back. What a great guy he would be if only he would. But I doubt it. It is high school. People are still trying to find themselves at this age.
And there it is. The sound of him giving up on her makes her voice drop a little. "There it is. He broke up with me." Where's the fight, Kaden?! I was rooting for you! I think I'm getting a little too into this whole conversation. Rachel calls to see what he's all about. "Dude, you've gotta cheer up a little. I don't do sad. I can do funny!" I laugh. They call me a creeper and close the door. Their voices are faint now. I can't make them out anymore.
Just then, Chuck gets online and greets me with "Hey beautiful." I smile, really big. I think I like this guy. Oh, what am I saying? Of course I like him. And now it's okay to say it, because he knows I do. I love that feeling. The feeling of knowing you like someone, and knowing they like you back, and being okay with saying it.
I don't love him though. That's one thing I've learned in the past. Love is a strong word. Too strong for where I'm at right now in life. I'm not sure exactly what it feels like yet. I don't know what it makes you say or do. I have no knowledge of it whatsoever. I'm really hesitant to say the word "love" because so much in my life, I've said that word when I didn't mean it. I don't want to do that again. I think I'm afraid of saying the word love for the wrong reasons, but I think I'm also afraid of not saying it when I do actually feel it. I'm afraid of not knowing what it feels like, and denying I ever felt it. Oh, what to do?
If you read my journal, you'd probably give it the title of "Megan's Quest to Find True Love." Really. It feels like, in the past year or so, that's been my whole life's purpose. I laugh at it. It's not like I mean to do it. It just happens. Maybe it'll pay off. But for now, I'm content being single. I know God has a plan for me, and I'm going to trust him as I do what he wants me to do.
I'm sure I'll be in love one day. I mean, this isn't an emo post where I complain about how dull and empty my life is. Oh, when will I find love?! --It's just not like that. I've got high hopes. One day I will love!

1 comment:

  1. Megan,
    you are a love-seeking individual, with ulterior motives behind everything she does. haha I mean that in a good way. Maybe I'll explain that later.

    Good luck with the love thing though, and have fun with Chuck for now, and with where it goes.
    You're awes.

    ReplyDelete