8/26/11

being frugal: shopping for clothes.

Like I stated in my last post, I think people who claim to have gotten a "good deal" on a shirt that's $30.00 are ridiculous. So today, I'm going to tell you how I shop for most of my clothes. I have a friend, Brynn, who has made a goal to only buy clothes that are on sale. Genius!

My strategies for shopping can be put into a few rules, and here they are:
  1. Before anything, check out the clearance rack. Yeah, it's messy and most of the clothes there are XXL, but more often than not, this is where I find some of my favorite clothes. It takes a little more time to skim through all the clothes to find your size and something you think is cute, but it's worth it. Target (my favorite store) usually has clearance racks on sale for 30%, 50% and 75% off the regular price. Holla!
  2. Shop at second-hand stores. My favorite is Deseret Industries. Although most of the clothes here are pretty ugly, smell funky, and have shoulder pads, if you look hard enough, you can really find some great stuff. Just make sure you wash them before you wear them.
  3. Really think about what you're buying. Ask yourself, "Will I like this in a year from now?" "Will this fit me in a year from now?" "Will I end up giving this away?" "Is this price worth the number of times I will wear this?" If you think you won't like it in a while, don't get it.
  4. Don't shop the latest trends. I hate trends for this reason: they go out of style SOOO quick. If you buy something because it's in style, chances are you'll hate it when the trend ends. Buy clothes that YOU like; shop for YOURSELF. I try to avoid asking my girl friends if they like the shirt I want to buy, simply because their taste is different than mine. If you're going to ask peoples' opinions, make sure you follow your own when all is said and done.
  5. If, while trying on clothes, you like parts of it, and dislike parts of it, it's probably not worth getting. To me, new clothes seem exciting, but when I've had them for a while, they become usual, and you notice the faults more. Don't buy something unless you love every bit of it.

Today, I went shopping at the DI (Deseret Industries). I was on a roll. Sometimes you can find a whole bunch of stuff there, and sometimes you can't find anything. Today was a good day at the DI. Here are all my finds:

I love the pattern on this shirt, and I love the fact that it's a button-up.
I was surprised to see that it fit well! $4.00


The color of this shirt is what first caught my attention. Then I saw
the stripes. I am really into stripes lately. I also love how far the sleeves come down.
I am not a fan of cap sleeves. $2.00


I loved the clasp on this belt. It reminds me of something someone would
wear in the 1940's for a day out on the town. $3.00

This belt was cool. That's really all there is to it. $3.00

And this belt reminded me of something someone would wear in the 1940's for
a day out on the sail boat! Ever since I got back from my honeymoon, I have been
longing for the ocean! I love it! Anything nautical that I can wear, I probably
will for the next little while. $3.00

And, because I'm married and like to make my apartment look nice, I got these little
yellow ceramic dishes, because they're cute. And yes, I do have a Buddah statue
displayed in my apartment. $1.00 for the pair


Since the DI doesn't charge you sales tax, my total for all of this was $16.00. See?! You CAN be frugal. $30.00 shirt my butt...

No comments:

Post a Comment